Elizabeth's core practice focuses on cross border transportation, trade and commercial and insurance/reinsurance work.
Elizabeth specialises in dispute resolution and has significant litigation experience in the English Courts, handling cases at all levels including the Supreme Court, as well as arbitration, including LMAA, LCIA and ICC.
On the transportation side, Elizabeth deals with disputes arising under shipping and commodities contracts, such as charterparties, bills of lading, pool agreements, shipbuilding contracts and marine insurance policies. In commercial matters, she is involved in a variety of international trade and investment disputes.
As a native Spanish speaker, Elizabeth has a particular focus on work involving Spain and Latin America. She is identified as a key shipping and arbitration lawyer in Latin Lawyer 250 and is Vice President for the UK of the IIDM (Ibero-American Maritime Law Institute).
- Argos Pereira España SL and another v Athenian Marine Ltd  EWHC 554 (Comm): whether failure by a party deriving rights from the contract to comply with the applicable forum clause gives rise to a liability for equitable compensation.
- Fulton Shipping Inc v Globalia Business Travel S.A.U. (The “New Flamenco”):  EWHC 1457 (Comm);  EWCA Civ 1299 and  UKSC 43: Supreme Court, authority on mitigation and damages.
- Mediterranean Salvage & Towage v Seamar Trading & Commerce (The “Reborn”):  EWHC 1875 (Comm) and  2 Lloyd’s Rep 639: Court of Appeal, in relation to the test by which terms are to be implied into commercial contracts.
- Representing commodities trader in SIAC arbitrations in claims under sale purchase agreements.
- Representing charterers in LMAA and ICC arbitrations in substantial claims arising from damaged cargo/project cargo.
- Representing charterers in disputes relating to the termination of charterparties and vessel redelivery.
- Representing owners and charterers in charterparty disputes arising, inter alia, from unsafe port claims, vessel groundings, port congestion, demurrage disputes.
- Representing owners and charterers following claims for cargo contamination.
- Representing owners in pool agreement disputes.
- Representing shipyard in LMAA arbitration in claim for negligent repairs resulting in fire to vessel.
- Representing liability underwriters in pollution claims.
- Representing hull underwriters in claims arising from explosions on board vessels.
- Representing liability underwriters in claims arising from shipbuilding contracts.