Fanos has over 20 years’ experience specialising in all aspects of dry shipping, P&I and Defence, as well as international trade and multi jurisdiction commercial disputes. He regularly acts for a variety of clients, including shipowners, charterers, operators, traders, managers, P&I Clubs and H&M Underwriters. Fanos has extensive experience in London arbitrations (LMAA, ICC, and LCIA), the English Courts and resolution of dispute through mediation.
Fanos also advises clients on non-contentious issues, particularly in relation to drafting of charterparty terms.
Fanos is a Supporting Member of the LMAA, and speaks Greek.
He is recommended for his "clear thinking" by the Legal 500 UK Guide.
- “SONGA WINDS” (2018) – A case on the construction and operation of P&I Club letters of indemnity for the delivery of cargo without the production of original bills of lading.
- (1) DELECLASS SHIPPING CO LTD (2) MWI SHIPPING SERVICES LTD v INGOSSTRAKH INSURANCE CO LTD (2018) – Security for costs against the claimant shipowners was denied where they had demonstrated this would probably stifle their claim on the basis of their precarious financial position.
- HC TRADING MALTA LTD v TRADELAND COMMODITIES SL (2016) - Where a party intended to commence arbitration on the basis of the disputed existence of a contract containing an arbitration clause, it would be wrong in principle for the court to intervene and entertain an application for a declaration that the parties had entered into a binding arbitration agreement.
- “GAZ ENERGY” (2011 and 2012) – speed and performance warranty – whether on proper construction the warranty was an all-weather or qualified warranty.
- “ETERNITY” (2009) – whether on proper construction the obligation to operate the inert gas system was absolute or to use due diligence, and the scope and application of the demurrage time bar clause.
- “LAZOS” – US District Court (SDNY) – 16 March 2007 – maritime Rule B attachment and Inter Club Agreement 1996.
- E D & F MAN SUGAR LTD v LENDOUDIS (2007) – Enforcement of Award and time bar limitation.
- “ACHILLEAS” (2007 and 2008) – leading case on late redelivery of a ship and assessment of damages.
- “EASTERN NAVIGATOR” (2006) – valid service of notice of arbitration by email.
- Motis Export Ltd v. Dampsikibsselskabet (1999) – delivery of cargo against forged bill of lading.