Marie's core practice focuses on marine insurance and reinsurance disputes, both in the UK and in foreign jurisdictions, and she has particular experience of Hull & Machinery and yacht claims, as well as marine liability, builders' risks and mortgagees' interest insurance claims. She regularly advises on points of coverage, the pursuit of subrogated recoveries and insurance policy wordings. Marie also deals with general commercial disputes relating to shipping and the international sale of goods and has extensive experience of representing clients in English court proceedings and in arbitrations (LMAA, ICC and LCIA).
Marie has been seconded to two leading insurers where she has been employed as a marine claims adjuster. Marie has also worked in the in-house legal department of another large Lloyd's Syndicate.
Marie is bilingual in Swedish and English and has a good working knowledge of Norwegian and Danish.
- Representing yacht Owners in defence of an LMAA arbitration commenced by Charterers in connection with claims under a MYBA charterparty.
- Acting for hull insurers in connection with the sinking and salvage of a superyacht in the Mediterranean.
- Representing contractors in a commercial dispute before the English High Court of Justice arising out of geotechnical services performed offshore Cameroon.
- Representing sellers and their product liability insurers in proceedings before the English High Court in connection with the supply of animal feed products.
- Acting for global excess liability insurers in connection with a multi-jurisdictional claim arising out of two failed NASA satellite launch missions.
- Representing hull and increased value underwriters in defence of a contested constructive total loss claim before the English High Court of Justice following the grounding of a bulk carrier off India.
- Acting for London market and overseas reinsurers in connection with a succession of fire losses sustained onboard two factory trawlers. Advising on coverage as well as subrogated recoveries and liaising with local Danish lawyers regarding arbitration proceedings brought in the Faroe Islands.
- Acting for a leading global polyolefin producer in a contractual claim before the English High Court of Justice concerning physical damage to the client's plant and resulting business interruption losses following the supply of contaminated butane feedstock.
- Defending London and foreign market hull underwriters in a claim brought before the High Court of Justice in respect of the sinking of a bulk carrier with resulting loss of life off South Africa.
- Acted on behalf of hull underwriters in a Constructive Total Loss claim in which one of the main issues concerned whether the relevant hull and machinery fleet policies had been issued on a valued or unvalued basis.