Menelaos specialises in both dry and wet shipping litigation and acts regularly for shipowners, shipmanagers, charterers and P&I club insurers.
With over 10 years of experience, he has worked on LMAA arbitrations and High Court proceedings involving all aspects of charterparty, bill of lading and ship-management agreements. Menelaos also regularly deals with cargo claims, inter-club agreement disputes, bunker quality disputes and performance claims. He has also acted for clients in respect of collisions, groundings and general average disputes Menelaos has particular expertise on sanctions.
Menelaos is fluent in Greek and has a strong practice in Greece and Cyprus.
- High Court proceedings on a ship quarantine dispute as a result of Covid-19 and the application of the BIMCO Infectious or Contagious Diseases clause.
- Litigation on the construction of the ‘pay now, argue later’ hire payment regime.
- Multi-party litigation on a cargo damage claim concerning the determination of responsibility for cargo operations and seaworthiness.
- Appeal proceedings under section 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996.
- Multi-jurisdiction dispute on bunker quality, adequacy of sampling.
- Speed and performance arbitration dispute involving the construction of the vessel’s warranty clause.